If you receive an "HTTP Error 500.xx - Internal Server Error" when browsing the to the Fastvue Reporter website after installation, this is due to a misconfiguration in Microsoft IIS.
The solution depends on the specific error message shown in the 'Config Error' section, as well as the information in the Config Source section (if you don't see these sections, you may need to enable detailed error messages).
Below are some of the errors and solutions we've seen:
1. This configuration section cannot be used at this path.
This configuration section cannot be used at this path. This happens when the section is locked at a parent level. Locking his either by default (overrideModeDefault="Deny"), or set explicitly by a location tag with overrideMode=Deny" or the legal allowOverride="false"
<add name="Fastvue Dashboard Handler" verb="*" path ="*" type="Fastvue.Dashboard.Web.Handlers.DashboardAspNetHandler" />
Often, this is a symptom of ASP.NET 3.5 not being correctly installed. The Fastvue Reporter installer attempts to install all the pre-requisites for you, however, we have seen occasional instances where existing server configuration prevents this from happening.
In most cases, you can resolve the issue by installing ASP.NET 3.5 manually. To do this:
- Go to Server Manager and go to Manage | Add Roles and Features
- Proceed through the wizard, making sure you check Web Server (IIS) | Web Server | Application Development | ASP.NET 3.5. (See below).
2. Cannot add duplicate collection entries of type 'add' with unique key attribute 'name' set to 'X-UA-Compatible'
Cannot add duplicate collection entries of type 'add' with unique key attribute 'name' set to 'X-UA-Compatible'
<add name="X-UA-Compatible" value="IEedge" />
You should be able to resolve this by deleting the X-UA-Compatible custom header on the 'Default Web Site' node using the IIS Management Console.
To do this:
- On the Fastvue Server, open the IIS Management Console
- Expand the server and select 'Default Web Site' on the left-hand side
- In the middle, double-click HTTP Response Headers
- Right-click the X-UA-Compatible header and select Remove
Then refresh the Fastvue Reporter web page and hopefully, the issue is resolved.
If not, repeat the steps above, but instead of selecting 'Default Web Site' in step 2, select the server node itself.
The issue is having the X-UA-Compatible header on multiple levels in the IIS hierarchy. As the Fastvue Reporter site has this header, you don't need it on any parent levels (the default website or the server).
3. WSUS has been installed on the server.The specific problem is that WSUS registers a custom compression scheme called *XPress* that interferes with other applications installed in IIS.
1. Open a command prompt on the server.
2. Run command %windir%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd.exe set config -section:system.webServer/httpCompression /-[name='xpress']
This will disable the custom compression scheme on the server.